Looking for the best high chair for introducing solids to your baby through baby-led weaning? Check out our favorite high chairs for baby-led weaning and find one that’s right for you!
Introducing solids to our daughter was one of the most exciting milestones for us as parents. We love food, enjoying meals around the table, and trying new recipes and flavors so we were really excited to start solids once Evelyn was ready for them.
I had researched traditional weaning and baby-led weaning (BLW) a little bit and decided I wanted to try the baby-led weaning route. It just seemed so simple and I had heard it could help prevent picky eating.
It seems like sleep problems and meal problems are at the top of most parents struggles. We had tackled sleep by following a consistent routine and doing eat play sleep, so I was hopeful that meal time didn’t need to be a battle either.
Baby-led weaning seemed to be the way.
We implemented it when Evelyn was around six months old and absolutely loved it! I am so glad that we used that method to introduce Evelyn to solid foods. And for the most part, meals with her are easy now. (Hey, she’s still a toddler!)
One of the things I hadn’t anticipated with baby-led weaning was choosing an appropriate high chair. I had registered for our high chair when I was pregnant with Evelyn, and honestly wasn’t even thinking about starting solid foods at that time. The one we used for Evelyn just had way too many cracks and crevices and made cleaning difficult.
The one caveat about baby-led weaning is that it is MESSY. And you don’t just get a messy baby—the floor, the table, the high chair, it’s all a mess!
So now that we are thinking about baby number two, I started my research to get a new high chair, one that would be way easier to clean with baby-led weaning.
Things to look for a in a high-chair for baby-led weaning:
- Comfort/Ergonomics: You want your baby to be comfortable in her chair so that she enjoy meal time. Choose a chair that fits baby comfortably. Make sure your baby can sit upright so she can feed herself safely and clear her food if need be.
- Easy to clean: You want a high chair that is easy to wipe clean after every meal. Steer clear of anything with fabric or material that isn’t easily wipeable.
- Simple design: Avoid chairs that have a lot of cracks and crevices. Food will get stuck in every single one of them and it will be impossible to clean. A chair with a simple design and clean lines is a good chair.
- Can be pulled up to the table: Part of doing baby-led weaning is introducing family meals to your baby. Everyone eats together! Get a high chair that can be pulled up to the table for family meals and doesn’t sit baby in a corner by herself. (Nobody puts baby in a corner!)
- Longevity: Many babies are ready for baby-led weaning around 6 months of age. And many toddlers will stay in a high chair until around two years old or older (if you’re lucky). High chairs are a great baby product to save and use for additional children. Get one that you can use for many years as a family.
- Design: The kitchen is a central part of many people’s homes. Get a high chair that you don’t mind being in the center of your kitchen. This might mean getting a chair that integrates into your existing decor, or finding a chair that can be easily tucked into a corner when not in use.
Okay, here are some of our favorite high chairs for baby-led weaning! Click through the links to see each one and find one you like!
Top 10 High Chairs for Baby Led Weaning
This is by far the most popular high chair that moms recommend for baby-led weaning. The simple design of this chair makes it SO easy to clean. You can wipe it down after meals in a flash. Some people even claim they stick the tray in the dishwasher to clean it!
You can get it pretty inexpensive at IKEA. But if you don’t have an IKEA near you, there are other options.
The footrest can be added (sold separately) and gives baby a place to put their legs and can make this chair more safe. Definitely one of the best high chairs for baby led weaning!
I love the fact that this chair folds in half for easy storage. Tuck it away when guests come over and bring it back out for family meal time. The ergonomic design and 3-point safety harness keeps your baby comfortable from 6 months to 3 years old.
This 3-in-1 high chair grows with your child. It starts as a full high chair and transitions to a booster seat, and eventually a toddler chair. The material is wipeable making it easy to clean. You can put the tray in the dishwasher and the straps in the washing machine if they start to get grimy.
The one-handed magnetic tray on this chair is genius and serves two purposes. It helps guide the tray in place with a magnetic attachment so mom can easily do it with one hand. It also helps keep baby’s food in place by “sticking” to the bowl or plate of the same brand on top of the tray.
A modern high chair that is perfect for baby-led weaning. The footrest is adjustable to 7 different positions so it can grow with your baby, all the way up to 12 years old! I think the chair part is so cute as a big kid chair as well!
This modern and bright chair comes in different colors that make meal time fun! The pedestal base makes it easy to fit under tables as it glides smoothly in all directions. Moms love that it doesn’t have any cracks or crevices and is easy to clean.
It took me the longest time to figure out how this chair worked! See it here. The seat and footplate are adjustable so you can use this chair from birth to adulthood. Seriously, it can hold an adult up to 242 pounds! Maybe your baby will want to take this chair to college with them!
This sleek chair folds down compact and is easy to clean. It’s lightweight and the cute design looks good in any kitchen. I love that it converts to a smaller chair later that can be used at a child’s desk or table for coloring!
Similar to the Stokke Tripp Trapp chair, this wooden high chair grows with your baby, up to adulthood. The seat adjusts easily without using any tools. It has a 3-point or 5-point harness so your baby can enjoy meal time safely and several different seat color cushions so you can choose your favorite.
Another point for IKEA! This high chair includes the footrest and can grow with your child into a regular chair. The simple design makes it easy to clean up each time you feed baby.
Which high chair is your favorite? Did you do baby-led weaning and have an easy-to-clean chair? Share in the comments to help other moms out!
Baby-Led Weaning Meal Plan
If you’re looking to get started with baby-led weaning, grab the family meal plan from Family Style Nutrition. It has meals you can make for your family while following the BLW principles!